Ok, so maybe I was too quick to say that Matthew McConaguhey is the next Dietrich Bonhoeffer and a hope for Hollywood. I am not saying that I want to take back the words of my previous post, but after reading up on some things, maybe I was too zealous for the thrill of a Hollywood (hottie) celebrity professing his faith in God.
Ok, I have not seen the movie he won the Oscar for. I have not seen "Magic Mike". I have not seen a lot of movies recently (or in the past). So I hear that the "Dallas Buyers Club" is a movie filled with sex, porn, swearing...All very UNChristian. So then, I think about Matthew McConaughey's speech and think that it is people like him that give Christians a bad name. And I wonder if he speaks what he does not live? I wonder if he talks the talk, but does he walk the walk? But then I realize that I should wonder less about his choices and wonder more about mine. That I should remove the plank from my own eye before picking the speck out of someone else's eye.
So, if I were in the business of judging and pointing out the wrongs of others (maybe like I just might have in the previous paragraph), I would be shaming myself and others for being so thrilled that someone like Matthew McConaughey would be so bold to share his faith with the world. And I would pile on the same by reminding everyone who got so excited about it that they are bumbling idiots for being so naive. But, I am not in the business of doing such things. I am reminded that I should remove the plank from my own eye before picking the speck out of someone else's eye.
I am in the business of living my life the best I can for Christ. I am human, so I fail. Everyday, I need to be renewed---let the old Adam die and the new Adam rise. Well, maybe, the same goes for one hottie, Hollywood Oscar winner. Maybe instead of pointing out that he really isn't all that great of a Christian example or, as one blogger wrote, "not a champion for Christ", maybe he is. Maybe that was exactly where the Lord was leading him. Maybe, it was the Lord prompting, prodding and behooving him to say those words. Maybe it is where the Lord needed him to be in order to show him the narrow road. Regardless of what I think, or what anyone else thinks, it is not my place (or anyone else's place) to pass judgement on someone else. We are all sinners and fall short of the glory of God. We all need forgiveness, mercy, grace and people to lift us up in prayer, people to love us and encourage us in our faith. God knows Matthew McConaughey's heart. He knows my heart. He knows your heart. Do you know where your heart is?
Discernment is necessary, but so is passion and zeal for what you do and for what you believe in.
Thank you.
That's all for now.
1 comment:
Very wisely stated. Despite some of the roles he has played, he still had the courage to stand up and say what he did. Maybe he was beginning to see what God was doing in his life and leading him and the value of his example. I am thankful that he stood up and said it. Love, Mom
Post a Comment